This month the editors of the Australian Army's Senior Officer Professional Digest recommend ten articles drawn from professional and academic journals on the subjects of capitalist-authoritarian powers, China, India, Pakistan, counterinsurgency, terrorism, regime change, Eastern and Western ideas of conflict and civil-military relations.
From the SOPD: "Reading is an intellectual force multiplier for the military profession. Apart from practical operational experience, which is our chief instructor, no other information source can compare with the material to be found in books and professional journals. As far as issues of contemporary importance are concerned, the many high quality professional journals from around the world can provide a small service, such as ours, with many different and valuable points of view."
SOPD Issue No. 52, August 2007 Full text PDFContents:
- The Return of Authoritarian Great Powers
- Securing Borders
- China’s Rise in Historical Perspective
- A Friend Indeed
- A False Choice in Pakistan
- Counterterrorism: A Professional’s Strategy
- The Role of Safe Havens in Islamist Terrorism
- Terrorism, Regime Change and Just War
- Good Anthropology, Bad History